“You Must Die!”: Living in Light of the Cross Notes
Living in Light of the Cross
Practical takeaways from the Cross (listen to audio below)
- You are not a body that has a soul and spirit, you are a Soul and Spirit that has a body. (1 Thessalonians 5:23; Gen 2:7)
- When we were created our Spirit had pure, unhindered communion with God who is also a Spirit.
- Sin Destroys us. (Romans 5:12-21; Galatians 5:19-21)
- Physical Lust: Adulultery (cheating on spouse, and lusting after someone), Fornication (sensual sin), uncleanness (lustful, moral impurity), lasciviousness (unbridled or unhindered lust), drunkenness, revelings (late night partying with singing and dancing and drinking)
- Anti-God Lusts: Idolatry (placing someone or something on the throne of your heart above God, craving a different God or imagining God differently than how He has revealed Himself in His Word), witchcraft (“Pharmakeia” where we get our word pharmacy: using drugs, using sorcery).
- Anti-Social (prideful) Lusts: hatred (causing enmity), variance (contention, strife), emulations (ardent Jealousy), wrath (boiling anger), strife (desiring to put oneself higher), seditions (dissension, division), heresies (dissension arising from diversity of opinions and aims, false doctrine), Envyings, murders,
- We must realize that that sin is ours! Not anyone else’s fault but our own, someone else may have tempted us but we made the choice to sin.
So what do you do when you feel you can’t be forgiven?
- 2 Corinthians 5:17-21; 1 Peter 2:21-25, 3:18; Isaiah 53
How do you live in Victory?
- The Christian Life is not as much about fighting as it is surrendering. (Romans 7:18; Luke 9:23; Galatians 2:20; 1 Corinthians 15:31)
- You fight by surrendering
- You win by losing to Christ
- You live victoriously by dying
- (Colossians 3:1-9; Romans 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 5:17; 1 Pet 4:1-11; Romans 6:1-23; Galatians 5:24;